HOT/HDM web rendering
Yohan Boniface
2013-06-20 21:00:19 UTC
Hi Hotties,

It's time to introduce the work being done on a humanitarian (HDM)
specific rendering.

TL;DR: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728

The Humanitarian Data Model (HDM [1]) is the name of the HOT initiative
aiming to integrate humanitarian tagging scheme in OSM. As part of the
CAP103 project (Northern Haiti), we took the opportunity to refine it.
There are four components to this work:
- clean the HDM preset, ensure it is well integrated with OpenStreetMap
tagging habits [2]
- develop an extension of the HOT export tool which allows to transform
OSM tags into attributes values from reference existing schemas used by
humanitarian and development field workers
- work on a JOSM style to ease use of the preset [3]
- create a web rendering that highlight the HDM

I will now share with you the work in progress on the web rendering step.

This web rendering has several goals:
One is simply to give editors a way to see the HDM OSM data without
having to use JOSM or a SQL console.
Another is to give humanitarian actors and developing countries a web
map that gives them the information they need, making OSM more and more
useful.
Finally, this is the occasion for HOT to have its own rendering, a nice
way to illustrate its work!

What does "highlight the HDM" means for a rendering? The main principle
is that each tag considered meaningful for the HDM should be rendered.
Here are some examples:
- road surface and smoothness are rendered (eg.
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#15/18.6665/-72.3048 where
a piece of the primary road is unpaved)
- water well are rendered (eg.
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.67901/-72.12665,
icons work in progress ;) )
- street lamps are rendered (same link)
- The craft tags are rendered
(http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.67048/-72.12274)
- NGOs have their icons, for example:
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.75957/-72.20532
Also:
- terrain data is included (will be colorized:
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#11/19.5944/-72.1108)
- zoom until 20 is allowed: the goal is to enable mapping in very
detailed instances. For example, camps (fire hydrants are already
rendered:
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#20/19.76066/-72.20188 )

You can use this link to compare the HDM styling with the official OSM
rendering: http://compare.fluv.io/

All the work is of course open source, hosted on Github [4] (note that
the name is temporary, any thoughts on what the name of the rendering
should eventually officially be is welcome -- HOT Style, perhaps?). It's
a TileMill/CartoCSS project.
Regarding the icons, we are using the Maki [5] project when possible,
plus the OCHA humanitarians icons [6] and Noun Project icons with
compliant license (CC0). Otherwise we design them. In each case, we
follow the Maki design rules [7].

As you can see, the actual demo tile service is focused on Haiti. This
is for two reasons: firstly, this work is part of the HOT current
haitian project (CAP103); secondly, the cleaned HDM has been first
tested/used on the Haitian Northern corridor. We will add more countries
ASAP.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on the work. The preferred way for
giving feedback is to open issues on the Github page, but emails and IRC
(#hot) are also good. Regardless of the source, we'd love feedback :)

Thanks!

Yohan, for the CAP103 team

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags
[2]
http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2013-06-07_humanitarian_data_model_redux
[3] http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/hdmjosm
[4] https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS
[5] http://mapbox.com/maki/
[6] http://thenounproject.com/collections/ocha-humanitarian-icons/
[7] https://github.com/mapbox/maki/#notes-on-contributing
David Schmitt
2013-06-21 06:18:49 UTC
Hi Yohan,
Post by Yohan Boniface
[...]
Very awesome indeed! I think it is a very important step for HOT to have
the entered data visible on a map. It is necessary to both provide
feedback to the editors as well as to have a simple and tangible result
to communicate to people outside of the project.

Something I'm missing is a map key. It's hard to infer the actual state
of a road from its color on the map, without guidance.

Keep up the amazing work :-)

Regards, David
Stéphane Henriod
2013-06-21 06:50:50 UTC
Hi Yohan!

this is indeed amazing and exaclty what was needed! So many people have
already complained that they digitize stuff "that doesn't appear on the
map"!

I second David, once the icons and styles will be in reasonnably final
stage, it would be necessary to have a map legend / key. And also maybe to
host it on a server with a shorter / more explicit name (humanitarianmap.org?
or whatever in this direction). And, naturally, if there was a possibility
to serve the whole planet file, it would be even more amazing! :-)

Very well done the CAP103 team!

Stéphane

--
"Le mot progrÚs n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux"
-- Albert Einstein

"A journey does not need reasons. Before long, it proves to be reason
enough in itself. One thinks that one is going to make a journey, yet soon
it is the journey that makes or unmakes you." -- Nicolas Bouvier

Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info
Post by David Schmitt
Hi Yohan,
TL;DR: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/**hdm-first-draft_728<http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728>
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/**hdm-first-draft_728#15/18.**6665/-72.3048<http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#15/18.6665/-72.3048>where
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/**hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.**67901/-72.12665<http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.67901/-72.12665>
,
icons work in progress ;) )
- street lamps are rendered (same link)
- The craft tags are rendered
(http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/**hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.**67048/-72.12274<http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.67048/-72.12274>
)
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/**hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.**75957/-72.20532<http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#19/19.75957/-72.20532>
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/**hdm-first-draft_728#11/19.**5944/-72.1108<http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#11/19.5944/-72.1108>
)
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/**hdm-first-draft_728#20/19.**76066/-72.20188<http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728#20/19.76066/-72.20188>)
Banick, Robert
2013-06-21 14:15:28 UTC
Hi Yohan,

Fantastic! I’ve had numerous trainees complain about stuff not showing up on the map, and wow, this gets right at that. It also looks better than the default OSM tiles :-)

Totally agreed that a legend / map key is needed. The American Red Cross would be happy to help with making that if we can get specifications on what’s needed / how you’d like to see it.

Speaking of which, if we have anything else in mind that might merit a place on the map, would we be able to discuss with you all further and/or assist with symbology? We’re eager to be contributors and not just users.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Banick | Field GIS Coordinator | International Services | Ì American Red Cross<http://www.redcross.org/>

this is indeed amazing and exaclty what was needed! So many people have already complained that they digitize stuff "that doesn't appear on the map"!
I second David, once the icons and styles will be in reasonnably final stage, it would be necessary to have a map legend / key. And also maybe to host it on a server with a shorter / more explicit name (humanitarianmap.org<http://humanitarianmap.org>? or whatever in this direction). And, naturally, if there was a possibility to serve the whole planet file, it would be even more amazing! :-)
Very well done the CAP103 team!
Stéphane
--
"Le mot progrÚs n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux" -- Albert Einstein

"A journey does not need reasons. Before long, it proves to be reason enough in itself. One thinks that one is going to make a journey, yet soon it is the journey that makes or unmakes you." -- Nicolas Bouvier

Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info<http://www.henriod.info/>

Hi Yohan,

Chris Blow
2013-06-21 16:15:31 UTC
Yohan,

Excellent work, thrilled about this!

The HDM-specific rendering + iconography is critical!

great work/more please :)

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 2:51 AM
Hi Yohan!
this is indeed amazing and exaclty what was needed! So many people have already complained that they digitize stuff "that doesn't appear on the map"!
I second David, once the icons and styles will be in reasonnably final stage, it would be necessary to have a map legend / key. And also maybe to host it on a server with a shorter / more explicit name (humanitarianmap.org? or whatever in this direction). And, naturally, if there was a possibility to serve the whole planet file, it would be even more amazing! :-)
Very well done the CAP103 team!
Stéphane
--
"Le mot progrès n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux" -- Albert Einstein
Fran Boon
2013-06-21 08:17:48 UTC
It's time to introduce the work being done on a humanitarian (HDM) specific
rendering.
TL;DR: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728
Awesome stuff - really shows the value of working in OSM...thank you so much :)

I'd be keen to make this the default basemap for Sahana deployments.
You say that you'll be adding more countries - do you see this server
as being one which will be a reliable/scalable service we can point
users at or should we look to set that up elsewhere?

Many thanks!

Fran.
Harry Wood
2013-06-21 17:28:01 UTC
Yohan can speak for himself if he's on his emails from Haiti, but I think I can answer some of these questions.
Post by Banick, Robert
if we have anything else in mind that might merit a place on the map, would we be able to discuss with you all further
and/or assist with symbology? We’re eager to be contributors and not just users
Yohan's been beavering away on this on github, https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS
including making use of the 'issues' to guide his work, so I guess he'll welcome your suggestions (and pull requests!) there.
Post by Banick, Robert
I'd be keen to make this the default basemap for Sahana deployments.
You say that you'll be adding more countries - do you see this server
as being one which will be a reliable/scalable service we can point
users at or should we look to set that up elsewhere?
Good question Fran.  I don't he's making any promises about the availability and scalability of his umpa.fluv.io server  .  Stephanie was also suggesting it be hosted at a shorter more explicit URL (This is trivial for a web map, but this suggestion applies to the tiles themselves)

In general HOT would like to firm up some of the services we're using/dependent upon, hence this idea of having a sysadmin to install and oversee things: http://hot.openstreetmap.org/hot_tech_challenge_services_set_up_monitoring_and_administration    A tile server with this custom rendering could be such a "high availability" service. I think that would be a good idea. We wouldn't necessarily want to install mapnik & diff updating somewhere though, because we have a free Mapbox account, so that would be easiest. To be discussed.

Harry Wood
Fran Boon
2013-06-21 18:20:04 UTC
Post by Fran Boon
[...]
Absolutely makes sense to use MapBox for this, especially if HOT can
get free service :)

I'd be happy to take this task on, if-desired.

Best Wishes,
Fran.
Yohan Boniface
2013-06-21 18:51:11 UTC
Hi all,

Thanks for your great feedback!
And thanks Harry for tackling some of the answers :)
(By the way, I'm back in Paris these days ;) )

@Stéphane, David, Robert, about the legend needed: I totally agree on this!
We already have an issue for this:
https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS/issues/44
I'm not sure how to handle this at the moment, but I'm sure that 1. we
have to do it 2. it must be automatic, because it must always be up to date.
I will try to take time on this ASAP, but if someone is faster than me,
the task is open :)

@Stéphane, Fran, about the wordlwide rendering
This is indeed something we want, and we will have.
On this I'm not sure of the right strategy for HOT.
My main point is that running a worldwide tiles service is quite
expensive, on server side and on human maintenance side. Especially
because I think that, nowadays, it doesn't make sense to run such a
service without minute diffs, because it is very deceptive to make
changes on the OSM database and not to see them before days or weeks.
And this is still a fragile and human time greedy technology, imho.
So for me it doesn't make sense to set up such a stack for only one
style to render, and so my opinion is that this is not something HOT
should spend energy on. But this is only my personal opinion, and I may
be wrong. ;)
But there are some community driven tiles server (OSM France has one for
example), and also some professional ones (Thunderforest, MapBox...),
and what we should do is to lean on such services.
Anyway, I know that we will host it on the OSM France server as soon as
we think the style has reached a 0.1 stable version. But the more
hosting services, the better. Centralization cost too much for community
based services, I think.
So answer is: no official tiles service for now as far as I know, but
quickly at least one non official worldwide.

@Robert, about collaboration: it would be really awesome to have you as
contributors on this project!
There is many room for this. We really want this project to be a
community driven project, just like all OSM projects.
Fist of all, if you have requests on the rendering, just create an issue
on the Github repository, I will tackle it!
Then, if you have cartographers and/or CartoCSS experts in your team
that want to participate, pull requests are really welcome.
Specifically on icons, there are tons of them to do, so if you have some
designer that want to do some of them, it can really help. The only
thing for now is to follow the maki design rules, to have a consistent
set (icon todo list is also on Github issues:
https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS/issues?labels=icon&page=1&state=open
)

@all: as already said: don't hesitate to open issues for bugs, missing
info, everything :)
And if you are not comfortable with Github, push an email, jump on IRC
(#hot on oftc).
We want this rendering to be useful, and specifically useful for people
on the field.

Thanks again for you feedback :)

Yohan
Yohan Boniface
2013-07-14 19:45:02 UTC
Post by Yohan Boniface
@Stéphane, David, Robert, about the legend needed: I totally agree on this!
https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS/issues/44
I'm not sure how to handle this at the moment, but I'm sure that 1. we
have to do it 2. it must be automatic, because it must always be up to date.
I will try to take time on this ASAP, but if someone is faster than me,
the task is open :)
Just a quick update on the legend part: I've found some time to work on
a prototype.
Here is the demo: http://hotosm.github.io/HDM-CartoCSS/
It's a Leaflet plugin that takes a descriptive JSON as input, and then
displays pieces of the map (like this we are sure it's always up to date).
For now the JSON has to be written by hand, I'm thinking about a way to
make this more dynamic but this is next step ;)
Here is a preview of the JSON:
https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS/blob/gh-pages/legend.js

By the way, the worldwide service is on its way. Actually, is set up and
working, but without the DEM. We are waiting for a new SSD server to
process this, which will likely be before next month.
But here you have some more countries (where I have added the DEM):
- Madagascar: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hot-style-madagascar_800
- Togo: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hot-style-togo_799
- Indonesia (without DEM):
http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hot-style-indonesia_850#10/-6.2682/106.8352
- Burkina Faso:
http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/hot-style-burkina-faso_931

Thanks for your feedback,

Yohan
Dan S
2013-07-14 19:56:32 UTC
Post by Yohan Boniface
[...]
IMHO this is delightful :) I like the use of real excerpts, with
clickthrough, etc.

A couple of thoughts for feedback:
* It's not 100% obvious if each word in the key should be associated
with the image below it or above it. I'd suggest either put actual
boxes around, to ensure the visual grouping (or less intrusively just
change the spacing a bit, minimal space between word+image and a bit
more space between items), or make them side-by-side rather than
above-and-below.
* For the "way" excerpts, would it be possible to avoid selecting
regions that have other ways in? For example the river in the
highway=secondary is potentially confusing.

Best
Dan
Yohan Boniface
2013-07-14 20:17:04 UTC
IMHO this is delightful:) I like the use of real excerpts, with
clickthrough, etc.
Cool :)
* It's not 100% obvious if each word in the key should be associated
with the image below it or above it. I'd suggest either put actual
boxes around, to ensure the visual grouping (or less intrusively just
change the spacing a bit, minimal space between word+image and a bit
more space between items), or make them side-by-side rather than
above-and-below.
Yeah, I agree. I've already worked on this direction, but will do more
right now :)
* For the "way" excerpts, would it be possible to avoid selecting
regions that have other ways in? For example the river in the
highway=secondary is potentially confusing.
Sure, every except is from a lng/lat point, so I just need to take
another :)
Will be more cautious in the future ;)

Y.
Yohan Boniface
above-and-below.
Yohan Boniface
2013-07-14 20:43:41 UTC
Oops, I've broken the click :/
Nice - still a little subtle on my screen but that's OK!
Yohan Boniface
2013-07-14 20:49:37 UTC
Fixed :)
David Schmitt
2013-07-15 08:26:20 UTC
Post by Yohan Boniface
What about this: http://hotosm.github.io/HDM-CartoCSS/ ?
I like it **very** much. Now, osm.org should get this too :-)

High five!

Regards, David

Eric SIBERT
2013-07-14 20:19:28 UTC
Post by Yohan Boniface
Just a quick update on the legend part: I've found some time to work on
a prototype.
Here is the demo: http://hotosm.github.io/HDM-CartoCSS/
Nice !!!
Post by Yohan Boniface
- Madagascar: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hot-style-madagascar_800
YES !!!!!!!

:-)

Eric
Pierre Béland
2013-06-21 19:21:24 UTC
Hi Yohan,

The CAP103 Team has done a great job with this HOT/HDM web rendering, and your web rendering is just fantastic.

I would like to look more closely at how the rendering takes care of Road classification vs surface and smoothness.

In your example below of rendering for road surface and smoothness, we see how a section of a primary road that is unpaved is rendered. For this section, the color for the primary road is grayed. This means that the surface and smoothness color scheme and have preseance over the road classification.

Would it be possible to render differently, without modification of the color representing the road classification? This way, we would not loose information about the road classification.

Pierre
Post by Banick, Robert
________________________________
Envoyé le : Jeudi 20 juin 2013 17h00
Objet : [HOT] HOT/HDM web rendering
Yohan Boniface
2013-06-21 20:40:30 UTC
Hello Pierre,

I understand your point. The HDM rendering is work in progress, so
certainly the road rendering point have to be refined, but let me argue
a little bit on the current choices.

* first point, which is for me an important point: in my understanding
of the project, the HDM rendering targets *users* more than *OSM
editors*; what this means is that we should render the OSM infos, but
not necessarily the OSM *data scheme* for itself; this is a main
principle I'm working with in mind.
So for example in the road case, what in my opinion is important to
render is a clear *hierarchy* of the roads, something like: this one
sounds like a big, well maintained road, where this one is clearly small
and in bad conditions. But the fact that it's tagged as a primary road
in itself is a *OSM editor private information*.

* Road rendering is not just color. It's: color + border color, width,
border width, fill pattern, border pattern, name, optional shield.
The smoothness only alters the fill *pattern*, and so the color is
unchanged. Other example: the "narrow" tag only alter the width. On the
other hand, the surface, as you've seen, alters the color, but only the
color: all the other elements are kept as is. So in my opinion, but I
may be wrong, the level of the road in the hierarchy is still clear,
while it is also clear that this piece of road is not good.

* OSM has billions of informations. Creating a rendering means making
choices. Making choices in what to display or not, of course. But mostly
making choices in the hierarchy of the infos we want to display. And the
hard thing here is that the more one specific info is visible, the more
noise it creates for the other infos around. Believe me, it's hard to
find the limit between the info and the noise ;)
Thus, it's also important, in my point of view, to keep the color
spectrum as simple as possible. To be clear it's not possible to keep it
simple, but we should try hard. For this reason, in my opinion, it would
be a bad idea to try to create an "unpaved" new range of colors, like
for example: black red for normal primary road, and light red for
unpaved primary road. And so this is why I've chosen to use just one
color for unpaved road, keeping, as said before, all the other rendering
elements as is.

Anyway, I've heard and understood your concerns. I believe in my current
choices, as exposed here, but I will run a neurone in background task to
see what I can do better in surface road rendering :)

Yohan
Andrew Buck
2013-06-21 20:48:59 UTC
One additional thing you might use in differentiating paved vs unpaved is
doing something like putting a dotted line down the middle of paved roads
(like what they look like in reality), having kind of a grey patchy texture
overlaid on the unpaved roads, to make them look bumpy, and then omitting
both of these features for roads of unknown surface.

In this way the symbols are reminiscent of the real world concepts they
represent and the map is more 'intuitive' leading to less reliance on the
key and more understanding from people right from the first time they see
it.

-AndrewBuck
Stéphane Henriod
2013-06-21 21:04:39 UTC
I wanted to make the same proposal as Andrew. If the smoothness or the
pavedness was rendered independently of the colour and independently of the
width, with a different fill pattern, maybe this would be quite intuitive
for the users (the more rugged the surface the more dense the pattern).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Eric SIBERT
2013-06-22 20:53:16 UTC
Hi all,
Post by Yohan Boniface
It's time to introduce the work being done on a humanitarian (HDM)
specific rendering.
TL;DR: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/hdm-first-draft_728
It is a pleasure to discover this work.

So, i decided to have a close look at the HDM. And also compare to the
MDM (my Madagascar Data Model :-p ) that I just updated:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:WikiProject_Madagascar#.C3.89l.C3.A9ments_courants.2C_sp.C3.A9cifiques_ou_utiles_.C3.A0_Madagascar

I'm a little bit surprise by the large number of elements in the HDM. I
was expecting it to focus on specific aspects of humanitarian.
golf_course? motorcycle parking? pub, biergarten, brothel... More
generally, with JOSM presets, I don't understand the need to duplicate
objects that already exists in default presets.

Concerning the roads:
- for smoothness, you define it as other or under 40 km/h. It's not in
accordance with wiki which is talking about the kind of vehicle that may
use the road.
- but you also added practicability:*=. There was already attempts to
define smoothness or whatever for different type of vehicle. Maybe, we
have to try again.
In Madagascar, for path (or damaged road), they also use wheelbarrow to
carry goods. I don't know how to indicate it. practicability:wheelbarrow=?
- one can also conditional restrictions:
smoothness=horrible
smoothness:conditional=very_horrible @ Dec-Apr
i.e. 4wd from May to November and "charrette à zébu" from December to April.
- I'm also using seasonal=yes(/no) in conjunction with
access:conditional=no @ Dec-Apr for instance to indicate that the road
is seasonal and that it is usually closed from December to April. I
would appreciate to see at least the seasonal aspect on rendering (color
is already used for surface, shape for smoothness...).

For river crossing, I'm using two cases.
- if the road is usually flooded: ford=yes
- if the road is usually dry: flood_prone=yes
Indicating the surface is also important. After a cyclone, it should be
easier to cross a river if the corresponding part of the road is made of
concrete instead of ground.
It is interesting to see river crossing in render even more important
than bridges. By a quick look at the map, you may answer questions like:
how many rivers to cross?

Where is dispensary?
Also, in the "Proposed features/Healthcare 2.0", it is not easy to see
the limit between health_facility:type dispensary and health_centre.

Eric
Severin MENARD
2013-06-23 15:36:07 UTC

I also agree with Andrew and Stéphane for the dotted line inside the
colored broad line. WFP mixes colors for 2 different categories in their
road maps (ex:
http://reliefweb.int/map/pakistan/pakistan-road-conditions-map-northern-sindh-and-balochistan-12th-october-2012)
and the result is just wrong, according to the map graphic semiology.

Sincerely,

Severin
Message: 1
2013-06-25 02:12:38 UTC
Hi Eric,

Some comments inline below.
Message: 1
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 22:53:16 +0200
Hi all,
Post by David Schmitt
I'm a little bit surprise by the large number of elements in the HDM. I
was expecting it to focus on specific aspects of humanitarian.
golf_course? motorcycle parking? pub, biergarten, brothel... More
generally, with JOSM presets, I don't understand the need to duplicate
objects that already exists in default presets.
Indeed, it is quite detailed and could called HDDM for Humanitarian and
Development Data Model. For Development purposes, JOSM defaut presets are
just quite limited. There are many activities existing in the Developing
Countries that are absent in these presets, and other tags (eg office=*)
scarcely present.
Post by David Schmitt
- for smoothness, you define it as other or under 40 km/h. It's not in
accordance with wiki which is talking about the kind of vehicle that may
use the road.
- but you also added practicability:*=. There was already attempts to
define smoothness or whatever for different type of vehicle. Maybe, we
have to try again.
OSM wiki has his logic here we are dealing with hunanitarian field and this
speed limit is a feature used among logistics hum org (especially WFP) for
years so it makes sense to include it. We can add a paragraph explaining
this in the OSM wiki.
Post by David Schmitt
In Madagascar, for path (or damaged road), they also use wheelbarrows to
carry goods. I don't know how to indicate it. practicability:wheelbarrow=?
Why not to add it on a pure OSM perspective. i might be wrong but I think
humanitarian responders using wheelbarrow for deliveries are not very
numerous.
Post by David Schmitt
smoothness=horrible
Tipically the things we tried to avoid as this interpretation can highly
vary between people.surveying.
Post by David Schmitt
i.e. 4wd from May to November and "charrette ? z?bu" from December to
April.
Post by David Schmitt
- I'm also using seasonal=yes(/no) in conjunction with
is seasonal and that it is usually closed from December to April. I
would appreciate to see at least the seasonal aspect on rendering (color
is already used for surface, shape for smoothness...).
I let this to Yohan but as he said the more we have info on a object the
more it creates noise
Post by David Schmitt
For river crossing, I'm using two cases.
- if the road is usually flooded: ford=yes
- if the road is usually dry: flood_prone=yes
Indicating the surface is also important. After a cyclone, it should be
easier to cross a river if the corresponding part of the road is made of
concrete instead of ground.
It is interesting to see river crossing in render even more important
how many rivers to cross?
Good point, and not complicated to render.
Post by David Schmitt
Where is dispensary?
Also, in the "Proposed features/Healthcare 2.0", it is not easy to see
the limit between health_facility:type dispensary and health_centre.
This project seems to have been made by Fabi2, did not know it yet. Might
be interesting to try to merge.
Eric
Kate Chapman
2013-06-25 07:58:26 UTC
Hi All,

I think it is important to separate the "HDM" from the specific
rendering being done. Meaning that really the rendering being produced
is intended to show all the things being mapped as part of the project
in Haiti at the moment. Though it may be useful in other places (this
is very likely).

The actual model where data is being collected I think is different.
That I think we should probably specify separately in our
documentation. Otherwise if we include "everything" then really we are
just adding to the general OSM tagging scheme.

Anyway, maybe this distinction is clear to everyone else and we are
already down that path.

Thanks,

-Kate

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Severin MENARD
Post by Severin MENARD
Hi Eric,
Some comments inline below.
Message: 1
Brian Wolford
2013-06-26 20:37:53 UTC
Speaking of the preset:
Yes, I agree this isn't truly HDM anymore. It is not just the extra things
used to tag disaster and humanitarian response things. The preset is being
used to coordinate large training and mapping field operations in
development work. I would be for changing the name of it, perhaps to some
thing like "HOT Field Operations Preset"

I agree that the current "HDM" (not for long) preset does have allot of
duplicated work in it. This is bc when coordinating a large project with
people who may be using computers for the first time, you really do need a
centralized resource for all these things. Saying to "use default for these
things, add the office preset, add the craft preset, add the New Wiki Tags
preset, use our personal preset for [cyber-cafe, wholesale, lottery kiosks,
ect], and use the HDM preset !NOT THE DEFAULT! for roads, toilets, and
waterpoints" doesn't work (at least here). We've tried. Having things in a
not centralized location while training so many beginners over large area
leads impossible quality control.

The project preset also allows us to make immediate additions or
corrections to the preset and change troublesome translations immediately.
So yes, I think that this preset is in sense more of a "project" preset and
the name should be change. And that this preset should be a good reference
for dev world and re-evaluated with each project (HOT or otherwise).

I also think "pure" HDM should be diven into again. I would like to look at
refugee camp tagging again specifically.
Post by Kate Chapman
Hi All,
I think it is important to separate the "HDM" from the specific
rendering being done. Meaning that really the rendering being produced
is intended to show all the things being mapped as part of the project
in Haiti at the moment. Though it may be useful in other places (this
is very likely).
The actual model where data is being collected I think is different.
That I think we should probably specify separately in our
documentation. Otherwise if we include "everything" then really we are
just adding to the general OSM tagging scheme.
Anyway, maybe this distinction is clear to everyone else and we are
already down that path.
Thanks,
-Kate
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Severin MENARD
Post by Severin MENARD
Hi Eric,
Some comments inline below.
Message: 1
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 22:53:16 +0200
Hi all,
Post by David Schmitt
Where is dispensary?
Also, in the "Proposed features/Healthcare 2.0", it is not easy to see
the limit between health_facility:type dispensary and health_centre.
This project seems to have been made by Fabi2, did not know it yet.
Might be
Post by Severin MENARD
interesting to try to merge.
Post by David Schmitt
Eric
nicolas chavent
2013-06-26 23:07:07 UTC
I think that through the last version of the HDM preset we (HOT) are
firming up what Sev called rightly a HDDM (Humanitarian and Development
Data Model) which serves the purposes of a HOT Operations Preset where both
humanitarian needs and development needs in Developing Countries or Least
Developed Countries are addressed through the OSM tagging way by remaining
now within the tagging logic at work in OSM and by adding/creating hum/dev
tags when not existing or not satisfactory in OSM.

I think that Sev's HDDM is a good name for this overall initiative which
associate schema, preset, forms and thanks to Yohan's neat work symbology
that will show in JOSM, web (CartoCSS) and possibly on other mapping
support (Garmin, OsmAND...).

The HDM is therefore a subset of this overall HDDM and I agree that on a
some aspects of the humanitarian work, it needs a review and that camp
mapping is one of those areas of worthy future work.

In parallel, the next future release of the enhancement of the HOT Export
tool by GeoFabrik which allow to transform osm tags into attributes/ values
of classic GIS schemas calls for tackling as well the building of
crosswalks between humanitarian models by sector of activity and OSM that
will be used to create HOT export jobs.

Post by Kate Chapman
Hi All,
I think it is important to separate the "HDM" from the specific
rendering being done. Meaning that really the rendering being produced
is intended to show all the things being mapped as part of the project
in Haiti at the moment. Though it may be useful in other places (this
is very likely).
The actual model where data is being collected I think is different.
That I think we should probably specify separately in our
documentation. Otherwise if we include "everything" then really we are
just adding to the general OSM tagging scheme.
Anyway, maybe this distinction is clear to everyone else and we are
already down that path.
Thanks,
-Kate
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Severin MENARD
Post by Severin MENARD
Hi Eric,
Some comments inline below.
Message: 1
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 22:53:16 +0200
Hi all,
Post by David Schmitt
Where is dispensary?
Also, in the "Proposed features/Healthcare 2.0", it is not easy to see
the limit between health_facility:type dispensary and health_centre.
This project seems to have been made by Fabi2, did not know it yet.
Might be
Post by Severin MENARD
interesting to try to merge.
Post by David Schmitt
Eric
Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
http://hot.openstreetmap.org/
Mobile (FRA): +33 (0)6 52 40 78 20
Email: nicolas.chavent-R9u8hhSi424dnm+***@public.gmane.org
Email: nicolas.chavent-***@public.gmane.org
Skype: c_nicolas
Twitter: nicolas_chavent
Eric Sibert
2013-06-28 03:19:12 UTC
Although, we may not focus on emergency response nor on more general
humanitarian aspect, we still can focus on elements that are available
in such developing countries.

For instance, cyber(without cafe) can be important during emergency
for communication.

After Haruna cyclone in Toliara (Madagascar), I discovered that people
on the filed liked the schools I tagged... because displaced people
were living in schools.

Banks may also be important, when you need cash.

So, ok a lot of things could be of help. But as mentioned in my other
message, I still think that some carefully cleaning would also help
groun€.d mappers.

My 2 cents.

Eric
Eric Sibert
2013-06-28 02:59:37 UTC
Hi Severin,
Post by Severin MENARD
Indeed, it is quite detailed and could called HDDM for Humanitarian and
Development Data Model. For Development purposes, JOSM defaut presets are
just quite limited. There are many activities existing in the Developing
Countries that are absent in these presets, and other tags (eg office=*)
scarcely present.
Still, I would suggest to do some cleaning of
Post by Severin MENARD
OSM wiki has his logic here we are dealing with hunanitarian field and this
speed limit is a feature used among logistics hum org (especially WFP) for
years so it makes sense to include it.
OK.

Indeed, speed limit is vehicle dependent :-p. On a lot of tracks, good
4WD cars can drive fast when local overloaded and aged vehicle can't...
Post by Severin MENARD
We can add a paragraph explaining this in the OSM wiki.
Good idea.
Post by Severin MENARD
Post by David Schmitt
In Madagascar, for path (or damaged road), they also use wheelbarrows to
carry goods. I don't know how to indicate it. practicability:wheelbarrow=?
Why not to add it on a pure OSM perspective. i might be wrong but I think
humanitarian responders using wheelbarrow for deliveries are not very
numerous.
I was thinking about an old HDM version where one can indicate how to
carry goods. And backpack carrying was an option. So, wheelbarrow was
a intermediate case between cases defined in that version.
Post by Severin MENARD
Post by David Schmitt
smoothness=horrible
Tipically the things we tried to avoid as this interpretation can highly
vary between people.surveying.
Interpretation on smoothness or on closing period?
Post by Severin MENARD
Post by David Schmitt
Where is dispensary?
Also, in the "Proposed features/Healthcare 2.0", it is not easy to see
the limit between health_facility:type dispensary and health_centre.
This project seems to have been made by Fabi2, did not know it yet. Might
be interesting to try to merge.
It was already proposed in earlier versions of HDM. And I think it is
widely used in Haiti (but not sure about tags).

Eric